Earned media is content published by websites or traditional press that was not paid for or placed by you but is advertising for you, your business, or your services.
Because earned media was not produced, paid for, or placed by the brand it is advertising, it is considered one of the most authentic and effective forms of advertising.
It can function as a form of organic marketing and is effective in attracting new audiences and retaining customers already established.
Benefits of Earned Media
The advantages of earned media are far-reaching. Three main benefits of earned media are frequency, authenticity, and longevity. The typical consumer mentions specific brands in conversation an average of 60 times per week, organically helping to establish earned media as one of the most influential and authentic forms of marketing.
Additionally, a report asserts that an average of 83% of consumers trust digital word-of-mouth over brand-produced marketing and content distributed by advertisers.
Earned media is measurable, and the cost for the brand is minimal, if anything, in terms of creating product recognition. Earned media results in consumer trust and loyalty creating brand loyalty over long periods of time.
Types of Earned Media
There are several different types of earned media that have proven effective in helping brand identity and raising revenue for companies. Some of the main forms are:
- Customer reviews: Acknowledging great customer service is a way to generate word of mouth marketing for businesses and products.
- Publicity from media outlets: When media outlets mention a business in a positive light, the public and potential customers feel a connection through the source and are likely to remember the company.
- Search engine optimization: SEO can help in increasing brand awareness, but with constant changes in algorithms it is important to keep content fresh and relevant.
- Social media followers: Encouraging a following on social media and growing it will keep a company or product relevant in consumers’ minds.
- Online mentions: Through the use of brand ambassadors or unsolicited loyal customers, social networking mentions generate some of the greatest sources of earned media with the potential to reach millions on a daily basis.
How to Get Earned Media
A primary content source for earned media is influencer marketing. Many brands offer free samples, at-will contracts, or per-product purchase percentages to brand ambassadors who represent the company in a positive light and in line with the brand identity.
Other ways to secure earned media are to encourage product reviews online, offer discounts for referrals, provide promotional coupons or free offers, share content with consumers, and target organic search results on search engine response pages.”
To keep earned media working for you, you want to be sure to create and maintain a solid brand identity through branding to help your customers identify with your brand and seek it out.
With consumers being influenced more and more by social media when making purchase choices and with the development of better online shopping experiences, earned media has phenomenal potential for improving revenue.