“Make thousands of dollars without leaving your home!”
You’ve all seen those articles that promise to make you rich.
While some are work from home scams, there are legitimate ways of making some extra money.
So how do you separate the scams from the real deals?
In this article I’ll show you eight ways that you can make money from home.
Let’s get started:
Online tutoring can be both a rewarding experience and a way of making money on the side. Regardless of your background, you can provide a service to your students.
Here are some tips for being a successful tutor:
- Work in a quiet setting. Set up a space to do your tutoring. Excessive background noises can be distracting to both your student and yourself.
- Stay flexible. Every student learns differently, so you should adapt your style to complement their learning abilities.
- Be a good listener. Have your students provide input and listen for understanding.
For additional tips, you can visit Potsdam State University of New York’s website.
#2. Sell Photos
Do you have images saved on your camera and smartphone?
You can upload photos onto stock photography websites where you can make commission off of sales.
Rates can vary, but it can be a good option to earn some profits over time.
Here are some general tips:
- Submit photos to multiple agencies. Agencies cater to different types of customers and can help to increase sales.
- Avoid trademarks, brands, and logos. Take some time in Photoshop to remove these or avoid including these in your photos to avoid rejection.
- Keep taking photos. Many people keep their smartphones on them, and the quality of images has improved over the years.
For more tips and tutorials, visit the SLR Photography article on stock photos.
#3. Freelance Work
You don’t have to be a writer to do freelance work.
Some areas where you can find work include, web design, marketing, research, graphic design, and programming to name a few.
Here are some tips for being successful as a freelancer:
- Set aside extra time. Sometimes you’ll have to work extra to meet deadlines or to learn a new task.
- Use social media for advertising. Offer valuable advice, or write articles to share information with your readers. Use this opportunity to show off your skills to draw in customers.
- Meet your deadlines. Not only do you get satisfied customers, this can encourage them to work with you in the future.
If you’re serious about freelancing, check out this article on how to make a living as a freelance writer.
#4. Sell Unused Items
Do you have clothes that you know longer wear?
Declutter your house and make a little money on the side.
Whether you decide to have a yard sale or sell items online, this can be a good option for getting additional funds.
- Be specific. If you’re selling something on Craigslist, eBay etc. keep the description short, and list what’s included.
- Take clear photos. Two to three with proper lighting at the minimum. Avoid stock photos unless the item is brand new.
- Research the price. Take a look at sold items on eBay for comparison.
- Must Read – How to Make Money from Your Backyard
#5. Customer Service
Many large companies are turning to third-party businesses to help with their growing customer service needs.
While work-at-home scams exist, there are legitimate jobs out there. Here are some tips:
- Set clear boundaries with friends and family. Setting up an office is ideal to separate work from home. Turning off your ringer can also be useful to avoid distractions
- Be on time. Most work from home customer service jobs have specific times that you should be logged in.
- Commit to a schedule. If you have tasks outside of the job, save them for after work hours just like you would if you were going into the office.
#6. Short-Term Hosting
Do you have a spare bedroom and want to make some extra money renting it out?
Companies like Airbnb have simplified the process.
Here are some tips for hosting guests.
- Have clear house rules. Some examples include smoking, off-limit areas, laundry, eating areas etc.
- Take great photos. Show off the room/house available for use to draw in more views.
- Research your area. If you live in a big city, renting out the room shouldn’t be an issue. See what events are happening in your area as well.
Babysitting can take a lot of work, but be rewarding at the same time.
If you have extra space in your home, and like working with children, this can be another way of making some extra money.
- Stay informed. Make sure that the parents have told you if their children have any special needs or allergies prior to watching them.
- Have activities. If you have a backyard and the weather is nice, have some games ready.
- Stay flexible. Sometimes parents may be late or need to drop kids off early. Stay in communication with parents on any changes.
#8. Start a Business
Do you want to turn your hobby into a business that can earn you extra money?
Websites like Etsy make it easier to list your projects and find customers.
Here are some tips that will help you get started:
- Use social media. Share your latest projects with your followers, and create content to drum up traffic.
- Show off your products. If you’re selling clothing or accessories, have a friend model them instead of taking a closeup of the item.
- Offer new products. New listings can appeal to a wider audience and bring back repeat customers.
#9. (Extra Tip) Get a Loan Online
While not being exactly a way of “making” money, it is still worth mentioning.
If you need additional funds to take care of an emergency, look at choosing a payday loan to tide you over until your next payday.
Sometimes you can get an almost instant approval of your online loan application and see the funds in your account as soon as the next business day!
What did you like best about the article?
I’m always looking for new ways to earn money from home, and these are some of the best methods that I’ve been able to find.
What other methods have you found useful?
I encourage you to leave a comment below, and if you’ve found this article useful, share it with your friends and family.